Friday, November 22, 2019

30 Day Challenge: Day 6: Favorite Super Hero

Anyone who knows me knows that I love the Power Rangers. I have discussed that fact in the past on this blog. It was here that I set my goal to meet the original cast of  Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. As much as I love Tommy Oliver (the beloved Green, Iconic White then also red (twice) and black ranger), my FAVORITE superhero is the Pink Ranger. We have 27 years of Power Rangers and 45 years of Super Sentai. Super Sentai is like Power Ranger’s daddy. Of all those years of the seasons I have watched I have a top 3 of my FAVORITE pink rangers. 
3.) Kat (MMPR, Zeo, Turbo) 
So honestly it took adulthood for me to be able to understand that Kat was a good person. In her storyline she comes in as a pawn used by Rita Repulsa to weaken the power rangers, Kimberly the original pink ranger in particular. In the end she ended up helping the rangers once she realized she was being used. It was the end of an era as we end up saying goodbye to Kim and Kat filled in as Pink Ranger. It wasn’t the first time we had a switch-a-roo, on the show but this was a big one for me. BUT when I discovered her on the ZEO season I fell in love with Kat. She ended up fitting in very well for the show.  OHHH and Catherine Sutherland is the sweetest person. (The pic gives me Olivia Newton John vibes) 

2.) Jen (Time Force) 
Time Force was the first season I watched without “Tommy” that was mind blowing (for me) and the storyline was more mature as much as it could be for a kids show. First off she is technically the “leader” as she is in charge of the crew from the year 3000, she watches her fiancĂ© die only to go to the year 2000 and find a dude that looks like the dead fiancĂ©. LIKE WHAT??? NUTS right? But seriously I always have to put Erin Cahill on my list because she is the NICEST most down to earth celebrity. Like her smile and the way she greets you is like she actually appreciates your existence as a fan. She does Hallmark and Lifetime Movies and its Christmas time so you will see her. 

1.) Kimberly
Ironically when I first started watching Power Rangers I actually really identified with Trini, she was really calm, and peaceful. When Trini left Kimberly was my stability. (Don’t question my state of mind I was a kid.) As time went on I realized I was as much of a mall rat and valley girl as Kimberly. I mean as Valley as a girl from Dover, Delaware can be. Also the Tommy and Kim thing sold it too. I was like OMG I want to be the the gymnast who gets the black belt. (Not so much for Princess of DE) I haven’t met Amy Jo Johnson, I hope that I do one day. 

Ok so Sentai... 
Ahim de Famille
*Gokaiger honestly helped to make me value Power Rangers more. The season is basically a bunch of randoms (space pirates) who just want to find the “the greatest treasure” in the universe and don’t have much care or respect of the power they hold, but as they go on they start to see what they have.... they were badass... and Ahim was a badass even though she exuded that love vibe that pink rangers give she was still a G. 

*Rin
After watching Gokaiger and realizing Power Rangers had some explaining to do I watched Gosei Sentai Dairangers and most of the continuity questions I had about Season 2 of Power Rangers were answered. Dairangers was another out of this world season with badass rangers and ridiculous bad guys. And the pink ranger was sweet but tough.

Ok so Honorable Mentions: 
Cassie- Power Rangers Turbo, Power Rangers in Space

 Sydney- Power Rangers SPD

Mei- Zyuranger



Ok so I can’t do this post without mentioning Shelby from Power Rangers DinoCharge 
Me cosplaying as Shelby in my ex’s backyard 

Honestly the character mean everything to me because this was the first time a pink ranger was an African American. I mean I dropped a couple of tears because I waited 20 years, for someone to realize African American women can be soft, sweet, kind and a Boss (or a freaking valley girl that just wants to shop all day), not to say that all the African American Yellow rangers weren’t great cause Karan, Nakia, and others are amazing, but let’s keep it real why did it take so long (aside from a couple of times they didn’t have a pink ranger)? BUT unfortunately the actress who played Shelby is... living the Hollywood (but in NYC) life and I feel shuns Power Rangers. And that’s cool boo do you I get, but sometimes you have to appreciate your past/fans of the fandom. Just saying.  
P.S:
Shameless PLUG... I am a superhero too... let’s put it like this, I had colleagues come into my classroom and a gentleman was looking at my stuff and said: “You really are the Pink Ranger.” I was like... “Yeah.” No one refutes it so.... 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment