Saturday, January 18, 2020

The Beach... Forever?

Why are we obsessed with “paradise”? Or maybe it’s just me. At an age that I really didn’t need to I saw the movie Return to the Blue Lagoon. Not the famous Brooke Shields Blue Lagoon, but the sequel. Both movies are about children who end up on a deserted island and grow up unaware and uneducated about many things. Ignorance is bliss as they must and do survive living in paradise (without indoor plumbing). They also fall in love, have sex and make a baby on this island with no one but themselves. For whatever reason these sort of situations intrigue me. Probably because I can’t imagine 1.) going off the grid and 2.) no indoor plumbing. QUITE HONESTLY I think of female issues immediately because GOD knows it is every woman’s fear to be in a situation without out bathrooms and the necessary products to be clean.
YET... we or at least me... I have a fascination with being in “paradise.”  Is it the mundane of our daily lives that makes us want to give it all up and live on a beach forever, where the weather is always usually beautiful and warm? Or maybe it is because it happens to be winter and I am going through my “seasonal” depression.... IDK BUT after watching Leonardo DiCaprio’s The Beach at the age of 36 (opposed to 26 and 16) I don’t even know how someone would want to stay on a beach forever. Obviously #beachlife comes with its own set of issues.

I would get tired of sand and grit. I would miss soft textures like fleece, fur and pillows. Sand and Salt water makes for a great exfoliant, but like every day? IDK.  Also I can’t with make shift shelters like on Gillian’s Island. I mean look at them they were doing alright on the island and they wanted to get back home badly. I know that as far as people are concerned I don’t think I would really need them. LOL! If basic needs are met, such as food and shelter. (Few cans of bug spray) then I will be ok alone or with very minimum people. Seriously though the killer... the super killer... no WIFI. In this day and age is it possible to be in a place so remote there is no WIFI. I am sure places like that exist but my friends what good is a beach without sharing it on instagram. I am sure most of us don’t want to be all “cast away” complete with “Wilson.” When most people think of paradise they are are living their best lives in luxury.  We want to forget the stress of life and “paradise” helps until we go back.  I guess that is why movies like The Beach are interesting because these people really didn’t want to go back. If its an environment you grow up in then there is nothing else that you even know, but if you know the woes of the world then maybe you don’t want to leave. Me... I usually miss my bed and my stuff. I even miss my routine, like work and teaching. BUT there is always something in me that hopes to one day... go to some far off beautiful place maybe even with a dude I like or love or acquired in the hopes of going to a far of place. It still intrigues me... What far off place of paradise would you like to visit?


No comments:

Post a Comment